A collection of frequently asked questions about Medicare – answered by the editors of healthinsurance.org and guest experts on Medicare issues.
Dates have changed in 2011 for Medicare Open Enrollment - your annual chance to change your Medicare coverage.
The annual Medicare Open Enrollment period has changed for 2011 and 2012. In 2011, it’s October 15 – December 7 and it continues in 2012 from January 1 – February 14. During these to periods, you will have the following options:
- Change from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage plan – You can switch between October 15 and December 7, 2011.
- Change from a Medicare Advantage plan to Original Medicare – You can switch between October 15 and December 7, 2011 and also from January 1 to February 14, 2012. During the latter period, you also have the option of joining a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.
- Switch from one Medicare Advantage plan to another – You can switch plans between October 15 and December 7, 2011.
Medicare Part D changes
During Medicare Open Enrollment , you can also change your Part D status. Again, pay close attention to the two periods as they affect your options.
- Between October 15 and December 7, 2011 – You can join a Part D plan, switch between Part D plans or drop your Part D coverage.
- Between January 1 and February 14, 2012 – You can leave Original Medicare for an Advantage plan that offers prescription drug coverage. You can not switch from one Part D plan to another.
Still confused? Read this comprehensive guide to Medicare Enrollment Periods.
Tags: medicare open enrollment, medicare part a, medicare part d, prescription drug coverage