How do I replace a lost Medicare card?

Q: How do I replace a lost Medicare card?

A: You can order a replacement Medicare card online at Social Security Online’s Replace a Medicare Card page. If you apply online, you can have a card mailed to you within 30 days.

(To get your replacement process started, you need to click the “Start” button at the bottom of the page.)

Be prepared to provide your Social Security number, date of birth, phone number and possibly your mother’s maiden name and your place of birth. If you’ve received a payment within the past year, you will be asked to provide either the amount of the last payment you received or the month and year of your last payment.

If you need proof that you have Medicare sooner than 30 days, you can request to have a letter mailed to you within 10 days. Or, if you need proof immediately that you have Medicare – for a prescription or for your doctor – the site will send you to the nearest Social Security office.

You can also call Social Security toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call Social Security’s toll-free TTY number at 1-800-325-0778.